Monday, October 22, 2012

Fun with Microfilm

Well, whether using microfilm is fun or not may be a matter of opinion, lol, but it is something you might need to use sometime. Microfilm is a kind of microform, which is a generic term for a variety of formats, all of which are basically the same concept. Print materials are filmed and then made available as rolls of film (microfilm,) or filmed onto cards in various sizes (microfiche.) Once you have the film in hand you need a machine to read it on; we do have several readers, two of which you can read and print from. They are the first two machines on your right as you go into our microfilm area. To their left is a more sophisticated machine which is connected to a PC and from which you can read, and scan and save from your microform documents as pdf files. You can then email the files, put them on a flash drive...)

Anything that is in microform is clearly identified as such in our catalog. Materials in microfilm include the back run of many older newspapers, magazines and journals. All the microform materials are on the ground floor of the library, past where the copiers are. The reader machines are all there too. If you need help with these materials please feel free to ask one of us.

No comments: